CARACAS Outraged opposition leaders vowed peaceful protests on Friday after a failed drive to remove socialist leader President Nicolas Maduro who warned his foes not to “go crazy.”
The election board’s suspension of the recall referendum leaves Hugo Chavez’s successor on track to complete his term, which ends in early 2019, despite the OPEC nation’s crushing economic crisis and his own personal unpopularity.
It also deals a massive blow to the opposition coalition, which was buoyed by winning legislative elections at the end of last year but has then seen its all-consuming effort for a vote to recall Maduro this year come to nothing.
“Our response will not be submission or violence, but a fight … based on the principles of peaceful resistance,” said coalition head Jesus Torrealba, drawing a parallel with Polish leader Lech Walesa’s battle against communism in the 1980s.
“The government has 80 percent of the country against it, it does not have international support, and it’s breaking both the law and the constitution.”
With the opposition due to announce formal strategies later on Friday, a few dozen angry students took to the streets of Caracas. They were blocked from marching by police.
“Socialism has failed here, everyone can see that,” said student Saray Nava, 18, among demonstrators outside a university. “This disaster affects us young people the most. We don’t want to leave like so many have. We want to work in Venezuela, have children in Venezuela.”
Citing court orders due to government allegations of fraud in an initial signature drive, the election board on Thursday canceled the next phase in the opposition’s referendum push: the collection of 4 million signatures to trigger the vote.
Critics say both the judiciary and the election authority are both subservient to the government, and barely any of their decisions have gone against Maduro since his rule began in 2013.
Adding to their fury, opposition figures published what they said is a court document ordering eight of them not to leave Venezuela, including Torrealba and twice-presidential candidate Henrique Capriles.
Judicial and government representatives did not immediately confirm the document.
Some of the harder-line opposition figures, including veteran activist Maria Corina Machado and jailed protest leader Leopoldo Lopez’s wife Lilian Tintori, are urging civil disobedience. “This dictatorship will not grant us anything. We have to achieve change in peace, democracy and – above all – in the street,” Lopez’s Popular Will party said.
In 2014, opposition protests led to 43 deaths, including security force members and both government and opposition supporters. Many of Venezuela’s 30 million people are worried about a fresh bout of unrest.
“I call for calm, dialogue, peace, respect for justice and the law,” Maduro told state TV from Azerbaijan, during a tour of oil producers seeking measures to bolster global crude prices.
“No one should go crazy … the irresponsible group leading the Venezuelan right must not spoil Christmas.”
Enduring a third year of recession, Venezuelans are increasingly skipping meals amid food shortages and triple-digit inflation.
Maduro, a former bus driver and union leader elected three years ago after Chavez died from cancer, has seen his popularity tumble to just above 20 percent in hand with a recession now in its third year.
While foes said failed socialist policies are to blame, the government points to the plunge in oil prices and alleges an U.S.-led “economic war” against it.
Government officials said the opposition had brought their troubles on themselves by delaying their request for a referendum and then committing fraud such as adding the names of minors and dead people to the initial signature drive.
“Justice is being done,” senior Socialist Party official Jorge Rodriguez told reporters, adding that 8,600 fraud allegations had been lodged against the opposition at courts around the country.
Thursday’s decision came despite intense international pressure on Maduro – from the White House to around an increasingly conservative Latin American region – to allow the referendum.
“The move leaves the opposition with no other option than to focus on street protests, increasing the near-term risk of a social eruption,” the Eurasia consultancy wrote.
“However, the government is clearly willing to resort to significant repression to defend the regime, which means President Nicolas Maduro can probably retain power for now.”
(Additional reporting by Diego Ore and Alexandra Ulmer; Editing by Alexandra Ulmer, W Simon and Lisa Shumaker)
Syrian army and Russian jets halt Aleppo bombardment for second day
BEIRUT Syria’s army and Russia’s air force halted their bombardment of rebel-held eastern Aleppo on Friday, a monitoring group said, on the second of four consecutive daytime unilateral ceasefires in the city that have been rejected by insurgents.
Exclusive: U.N. chief mulls future in South Korea where he tops presidential polls
UNITED NATIONS United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said on Friday he will return to South Korea in January after heading the world body for a decade to consider what role he can play in the future of his country amid a push for him to run for president.