FAIRBURY – A section of downtown Fairbury was temporarily blocked off due to a suspected gas leak Wednesday morning.
A strong odor of gas was detected in the vicinity of the Fairbury United Methodist Church around 9:40 a.m. Fairbury Police and Fire and Rescue personnel closed E Street between 6th and 7th Streets while Black Hills Energy investigated the situation.
Emergency Manager John McKee said a few of the businesses in the immediate area were evacuated as a safety precaution, including Casey’s General Store, which sits across the street from the church.
The road remained closed for about half an hour before being reopened shortly after 10 a.m. once the area was determined to be safe. Exhaust fans were brought in to help disperse the gas while Black Hills continued working to correct the problem.