MASON CITY | Increased energy use likely overloaded a power line and caused a pole to catch fire in Mason City on Monday, an official said.
The fire was reported atop a pole at 15th Street Southeast and South Carolina Avenue about 11:40 a.m.
Residents of North Iowa are in for a hot day on Monday.
The forecast calls for a high temperature of 88 degrees, but high humidity creates a heat index even higher than that.
Storms are likely Monday evening. Some could be severe.
Temperatures were already getting warm when the fire broke out late Monday morning.
Only the pole was affected.
Alliant Spokeswoman Heather Hughes said residents can try to help reduce stress on the system by using power wisely.
Some tips include closing the blinds to keep out the sun, setting fans to counter-clockwise so it feels cooler, turning ceiling fans off when you leave the room and raising the thermostat to 78 or 80 degrees when leaving the house.
If possible, do laundry, cooking and baking in the morning or night.
MASON CITY | A stretch of South Carolina Avenue was blocked Monday morning due to a smoking power pole.
Police and firefighters were called to the scene at South Carolina Avenue and 15th Street Southeast about 11:40 a.m.
Mason City firefighters also responded.
Police officers blocked traffic in the 1400 and 1500 blocks of South Carolina Avenue, as well as the approach on 15th Street Southeast.
Smoke came from the pole until about noon.
It is unclear if anyone lost power.
Residents north of the intersection who spoke with the Globe Gazette said they had not lost service.
A spokeswoman from Alliant Energy said she would seek details about the cause of the fire.
Police and firefighters left after an Alliant crew arrived.